The Trending with EZ show (WOL 1450 am) tackled the issues surrounding the Aurora Colorado shooting. As a result upon posing the question of “what could be done to avoid future occurrances”, Twitter respondents blew up the airwaves. People from everywhere- beautifully articulated what should happen in light of this horrific tragedy. Do you agree with what they said? What should be added?
Proposed Resolutions Per the “Voices” of Twitter @ezstreet @ezstreetshow
1. Increase the price of ammo and/or guns (much like the cigarette/tobacco taxation) to an amount that would make it undesirable to want to purchase any type of weapon for sport.
2. Federal agencies need to implement a technological tracking system that sends a red flag to gun vendors, authorities and other parties who may need to be put on notice of a potential situation.
-Does big brother enter here? Would the use of the cameras that seem to be popping up all over the place be used to ‘spy’ on those individuals that are flagged?
3. Install metal detectors at the movies. Would this solution be applied to everything that requires access?
4. Funds and additional support needs to be focused directly towards mental health services. Accessibility policy review is requested as well to ensure that people are not stereotyped. However what classifies someone as “mentally challenged, emotionally disturbed, mentally disabled”? It needs to be vetted further to add depth.
5. Include other communities in the dialogue. It is tragic that this happened but there are other communities that endure this type of torment on a daily basis….what about them/us?
6. Regulate how many weapons one person can own. Congress must introduce legislation that is directed towards gun stores.
7. Be more aware of our surroundings, our children and our neighbors. If anything is odd prevention is always better than reaction.
8. Implement id scans for the sale of guns and for entrance into establishments. It took far too long for the list of patrons attending the theatre to be generated.
9. Domestic Terrorism needs to be clearly defined and/or expounded upon… with prosecutable consequences. Deny due diligence? Disenfranchise? How would it be punishable?
10. The Government needs to stay out of it! They regulate too much. Gun possession is a right (2nd Amendment of the Constitution) and should not be taken away. “I WANT TO PROTECT MY FAMILY FROM LOONS LIKE THIS”.
11. Provide passes to competitive shooters, military, and police officers.
12. Make each gun owner take a certification course and become certified. The process alone will deter people.
13. Make the scales balanced. Whites still get too many passes when it comes to malicious gun abuses.
14. With budget cuts occurring nationally, many outlet programs are being cut from schools. Arts, music, clubs, and even sports programs are no longer available in some places for students to vent frustrations or to channel their emotions. BRING BACK PROGRAMS WITHIN SCHOOLS!
*All comments were garnered from the @ezstreet and @wURkerbee twitter accounts from responses made to questions posed by the aforementioned.
What are your thoughts? Is this enough? Is it too much? Can and should everything be regulated?